Monday, December 1, 2008

Living in Cairo: A Little Tip

Today, I planned to take my wife to the movies. "We'll run just a quick errand on our way" she said. Being the good husband I am, I conceded. Leaving the building our Bawab approached me.

- Here is you laundry, he said
- Thanks Mohamed
- Aye Khedma ya Basha
I gave him a Pound

We drove to get a quick Birthday present for I don't know whom. Got in the shop, my wife was quick. Gift selected and wrapped. The lady packing the gift gave it to my wife and turned to me with a big smile.
- Koll sana wento taybeen..
I gave her a Pound

Getting out of the parking space, he appeared as usual out of no where.
- Ta3ala, ta3ala, ta3ala... Hop...
I gave him a Pound.

The roll of pounds in my pocket is getting thinner faster than anticipated, I thought.

We got in front of the cinema. Squeezed Calista between two humongous SUV's with customs plates.
We waited and they came. Two guys this time.
- Two pounds ya basha, one of them said
- Ok, when we re leaving, I replied.
- No.. Now, we are not going to wait till midnight, the other replied.
I gave them 2 Pounds

Get me some popcorn honey, I'll go quickly to the toilet.
While I was washing my hands, he appeared right over my shoulder with a small paper tissue in his hand.
- Koll sana wenta tayeb ya basha, he said in a husky voice.
I pushed the soap dispencer twice, rewashed my hands, hoping that he would go away. He didn't.
I gave him a Pound
And another Pound to the placeur (The guy who took you to your seats in the cinema, just in case you didn't know.)

Two hours and one dreadful movie later, getting out of the parking I spotted him running towards us from the very end of the road.
- Aywaaaa, Aywaaaa!!
The roll of Pounds in pocket finished. I just drove off.
I saw him in my rear view mirror curling his lips, weaving his hands in the air and heard him
- Bahwat Akher Zaman Sahih, Ekhss...!!!

No comments: