Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Hidden Dangers of Karaoke Singing

I am quite comfortable with singing: Hardly the statement that a Middle Eastern man would concede to easily. But this is the truth. I have been playing the Piano for as long as I could remember. I do not have an incredible voice but I don't miss the tunes and I always used to sing.
Let me tell you a fool proof way to impress girls:
All throughout my university days, I used to take girls to the music room, play the piano and sing for them. The outcome of this feat, I would like to assure everyone is far more guaranteed than the most fancy romantic dinner.

The least I can say about Miriam is that she was incredible. Damn pretty -of course- with the unique talent of being angelic and naughty at the mean time. She was also a social animal and an amazing singer (of course!)
I spent most of adolescent life dreaming about just a conversation with her. But to my ultimate misfortune, for the known recorded history, Miriam only dated one guy. Yes, you guessed it right: I was not a close rival. Not even in the same league.
While Bassel was taking an active part in maintenance and medical assistance for the Pharaohs Rally. The closest I got to desert and off-roading was the Discovery Channel and Sport Auto magazine.
His dad owned half of Hurghada (including two yachts) while my friends and I took the bus and cramped ourselves in a 3 stars hotel at the utter most. To cut a long story short, it is the same old story. While they were the typical university star couple , I blended in oblivions in the background.

One day, it just happened. Miriam and Bassel broke up. To the present day -nearly 10 years later- the reason behind this break up eludes everyone.
What happened after that was like a dazed dream. An "unplanned" introduction by a mutual friend, casual talks while going back and forth on campus and finally, me gathering my wits to ask for a coffee together. Yes, just like that. One coffee, lead to the other and we were on the right track. Now, when I look back, I realize that these "coffees" were among the very few times in my life where I experienced pure -totally unstained- happiness.

We are all going to Johnny's this Wednesday for Karaoke Night, I told her. Interested?
Yes, sure. She replied.
So that was it, our first night out. It would be a smooth sail from this point onward I assured myself. I will talk to her, she will say yes… Bye bye Bassel… for good.
Got there, everybody was having a good time and she told me let us sing a duet together. The idea pleased me so much. Yeah let us do it.
The song started, she sang brilliantly and then I was up.
Over the following 6 years or so after that, I asked myself a zillion times: What the hell has gone into me that night? I missed the opening, got out of tune, sounded like a mule in labor and then got so nervous and missed the lyrics themselves. An absolute disaster.
Joining back the rest of our crowd, I saw it in her eyes right away: Hesitation.
No way, I kept assuring myself. No one in his right mind would decide the future of a relationship based on a Karaoke Song. She did.
Half an hour later, Miriam said it was getting late and that she had to go home. I never heard of her again, ever.

Ten years, A wife, Two kids and two Porsches later, I still do not sing Karaoke. The reason: No one knows.

2 comments:

moe said...

I loved this really !:)

Sarah ElTobgy said...

WOW!!!
Very intresting begad... I really enjoyed it :) But believe me singing isn't always a way ... To me, it's something to critisize!