Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Diary of Separation, Ep.1: It Takes Two to Tango

Episode 1: It Takes to Tango

" But we were not those people, to whom bad things happen for no reason" (The Lovely Bones.)

- - I will not be treated like a cat anymore... That was my resolution waking up on this fine autumn day in October.

A week ago the obvious got revealed to me. For the last few months, my wife was giving me exactly the same amount of love and care as she was giving to Ezz El Din our cat. Some can argue that this is not necessarily a bad thing. We both - Ezz and I- got up in the morning to find sweetened milk (and cookies for me) at the breakfast table. We both had our clothes and living spaces regularly cleaned and we both got a good night hug and kiss. What more can a cat ask for...

Seven years and two failed relationships ago, my friend Ihab decided to give me the good advice. “You can’t just follow your heart into any relationship like that, especially if you want this relationship to grow into a lifetime commitment.” He Said. “You have to do your homework and really study how suitable and compatible this person is to you.” And honest to God, this is exactly what I intended to do when I met her. Actually, I did half of my homework and the inevitable happened. I loved her. All of my friends asked: Why? But do we really have to have a reason to love?

After a swift and semi bumpy ride on the path of engagement, we took the marriage expressway. But, soon enough, I realised that this road is really very peculiar. It has no U-turns whatsoever and the destination is exclusively her choice (Hence the famous say of a lot women: It is either my way or the highway). Right from the start, she made sure that I would get this message. Right after getting back from our honeymoon and during a very mild argument, she moved out of our room, called her parents and wanted them to take her back home. Attempting to avoid problems at this early stage, I let it slide. That was obviously a fatal mistake.

The first thing they teach to every married couple is that the secret of a happy life is compromise, understanding and trust. However, they never taught us where is the fine line between compromise and weakness, understanding and passivity or trust and naivety. This was perhaps my fault. So many times I told myself “soft paddling will never get you anywhere...” Get mad, confront, and express yourself. But, I conceded and she led our Tango... Straight to hell.

No comments: