Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Facebook is for Dorks!

Dork (dawrk) : An offensive term that deliberately insults somebody's intelligence, physical appearance or social skills (slang insult)

According to an article in Fortune magazine, "anyone who is over 25 years old and has an account on Facebook is a dork"
When I first read this I was a little bit offended. I am way over 25. I have a Facebook account. And for all that it is worth, I do not see myself as a Dork!!
Then I decided to read the article a little bit further. "Let's see what this guy has to say anyway"!
I summarized the article content in a few points -Dialogue like- here below
- Joining a social network is cool.
- Ok, and then??

- It allows you to catch up with old friends
- If they were really your friends you would have their contacts. If you do not have their contacts may be they were not your friends to start with.

- So who should I add to be my friends on Facebook? I'm already in close contact with my friends and My colleagues at work. So, should I add my distant friends, acquaintances and business contacts perhaps? And let them see my status and personal photos?
- ….
After using Facebook for sometime now, I somehow agree with the article. In my opinion, the social site is more of a hype without any real added value. May be for a younger generation, it would be a nice flirting tool but that is it.
Just ask yourself, when you first started out on Face how often you used to check it? How often do you use it now?
I used to get posts, invitations, mails,… all the time. Now, the frequency is far less. Basically, it is a very few bunch that is constantly adding applications or joining groups and sending them to their entire list without any real "personal" content.

And this is all I have to say about that :))

1 comment:

Shaheera - Gracefulfreespirit said...

I don't quite agree with what you're saying.....

Because of certain circumstances I had to leave my school, the only school i actually really loved....and I was around 13...lots of promises were made that I would be driven over to meet up with my friends...but alas, none were actually kept....
Because of that I lost contact with people I loved and had good times with as a little girl...

Facebook is a tool that I discovered that helped me renew contact with those people....we drop a few words almost everyday to say that we're there and thinking of each other....

we're planning re-unions....

I've been out to coffee with quite a few people already....

And it's just plain nice.....

Facebook also put me in contact with other people who have similar interests as myself....that through the groups......

I think it depends on how a person uses it....and what purpose they have for it.....

I believe that Facebook is merely a communication tool....it's something that we should all be aware of and in a way part of....or else we'd lose touch with the younger generations as well.....and that would mean issues in communication as well with an important component in society.....