Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cairo: The Last Days (Part 2)

Well, if they think they can easily shove me out and forget about it definitely they should think again.

I have been with the National Front since the very start. True the Front existed since the 1940's, but I'm referring to their late resurrection during the late 1980's and 1990's. My name is Amin Tolba and I'm one of the so called "New Generation Steers." or as sometimes referred to as the Guidance Office New Guard.
While other groups chose the way of direct violence to create turmoil and attempt to get to power, I was absolutely against it.
"My brothers, shooting a president or tourists or putting a few bombs in Tahrir Square is not the way that will get us to rule this country. Hear out my plan." And They did…
By the early 2000's, the Front had infiltrated and had some or total degree of control on almost everything in Egypt: University student Bodies, Professional Syndicates (engineers, doctors, lawyers,…), Government Ministries, National TV/Radio, Judges Union,… You name it. We were every where. Ultimately, this lead us to power in 2011.

I walked out of my little sorry room in Arish. I saw a glimpse of my own reflection on the door stained glass window and I wondered. The young man who used to walk in demonstrations in his neat dark green coveralls and black mask is now long gone. All what remains is an old fat and bald sort of a soldier, stumbling in his pale green army suit, drenched in sweat.
I gave my life to the Front. Once they got in power, I was completely forgotten. Instead of giving me a ministry or a public company or something where I can get to spend the rest of my days in ease and peace, The Head Steer called me: "Brother Amin, we have bestowed on you our great confidence. We appoint you the Head of Security in Northern Sinai."
I can nearly see him this Son of B… sitting at the old Royal Palace and laughing with the other bastard Ahmed Ammar, my so called friend and comrade and the new Minister of Petrol and Energy. He has his own airplane I was told. All I have is an Army Jeep and the Sinai Bedouins shooting at me and my men almost every night.

The Front rise to power was too easy, almost inevitable. All the lethal elements were there: An aging dictatorship, a very poor country (the UN officials calling it the Mediterranean Bangladesh) and people drowning in ignorance, sickness and despair.
"The Front is the Solution and We Will Change the Constitution." Our slogan was like a drug to the masses. Most of them did not even know what constitution meant.
Everyone wanted to change the status quo and We seemed like a viable choice at a time, especially for the unknowing majority. A religious group who got out of his way and got into politics; speaking in the name of God and promising a better life in this world and heaven thereafter. Nothing could beat this deal…
What the common man did not know is that religion and politics do not mix. Or to say the least they do not mix well. Just like heaven and earth, could these two mix?
Politics has nothing -and never had anything- to do with religion. The only religion politics know is the religion of power and the faith of using all the means possible to obtain it and preserve it.

It was may be 7pm on this early October night when I took off with my Jeep. I was only accompanied by my young right hand guy Mahmoud. I've been arranging and anticipating this meeting for may be 8 or 9 months now. We drove for like 2 hours towards the heart of Sinai and into its high mountains. The unpaved road twisted endlessly up and down till we finally reached the specific GPS point. Our rendezvous were already there.
"My name doesn't really matter, I am here representing the Kingdom and some of its friends. The Front regime has gotten absolutely out of hand and I believe that it is up to us now to put things right." Said the man with the dark blue jeans and khaki sweater. He was in his early 40's and obviously the boss of the party meeting us.
Before, I could reply by anything, he opened a suitcase stacked with Dollar Bills. "This will help you to insure the allegiance of the Bedouins and most of your men." He added smiling.
"We shall arrange for the triggering event in Cairo. Also, I'm coordinating with Nabil Fawzy Militias from Upper Egypt." I responded "Everything will go as planned!"
We shook hands and he walked towards his car. Then he looked back "Also, a continuous supply of ammo and weapons will be secured through our contacts in Elate." He drove away.

"This is the time. This is the place. We have to make a stand. We have to give in to the will of God. It is His will that we should put an end to the Tyranny that is eating our country. Our lives are worth nothing. We give it happily to restore the rule of Allah…"
The entire camp roared with enthusiasm.
I put on my ultimate serious face and the thought lingered in my mind: Does anyone sincerely believe this nonsense?
How could they believe that any God -if one really existed- would let or allow thousands may be even millions to die in his name??

No comments: