Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cairo: The Last Days (Part 1)

Part 1:

June 17, 2015:
I got stopped again today at a security check point. The soldier who stopped me was merely a boy in his 17, 18 at the most. His beard hair was no more than pale patches here and there on his face. But, The old desert green uniform and his Afghani soft wool hat gave him a menacing look.
"ID,.." he said averting looking at me directly. He checked the ID and looked at me quickly. "Hide you hair woman!" he said harshly while handing me back the document. Hastily, my hand ran to push the fallen hair lock under the veil and I walked away as fast as I could.
Since, the last couple of explosions down town, security measures have been very tight. Even here in Heliopolis (Haii El Safa, they now call it) there is practically a check point on the corner of every major street.
Tarek came back very late from work. His pipes manufacturing business has been doing very good lately. However, his problems also increased dramatically. He always shared some work details with me.
"I'm practically paying everyone I deal with", he said, disgusted, during supper. "The labors' office, the social insurance, taxes, local authorities,.." are all on my private payroll. "I'm doing all the work and everyone else is getting the profit…"
Tomorrow, I'll go to visit mom. She moved very far at the very end of Nasr City. Now, with the new, unwritten, law preventing women from driving. I'm only left to the wretched Microbus to take me there.

July 10, 2015:
I am so bored.
Tarek spends most of his day at work and I'm left trapped here at the house. It is true I never really worked since I got married 15 years ago but in the old days there was so much to do. Even on an absolutely empty day, I could still read the papers, watch TV or even sometimes surf the net. Now, I'm a little bit living in a closed sphere. Since the National Front came to power 4 years ago, they have been bit by bit restricting our exposure to the outside world. It all started with the very strict law against satellite dishes and cable networks.
"They only undermine our faith, promote imperialism and show sex and nudity films and series," The Guidance Office announced. An ultimatum of 2 days was given to get rid of all dishes. These who did not respond got a 20,000 LE fine and 20 lashes.
So, I'm left stuck with 2 TV channels that only talk about the after life and a paper that has the unique job of promoting the Guidance Office ruling members and mentioning every day some fake facts about how Egypt is the greatest country on earth…

July 28, 2015:
I got a letter from Adham today. It was dated June 15, 2015. Well, it did not take that long. I heard from some friends that it takes at least a month for a letter to get through the huge pile up at the Central censorship office. It was his words but the hand writing was of a grown up person…
It has been now almost a one and half years since we sent Adham to his Aunt.
"Schools here are crap. Besides, he will get a chance to see the world. Do you remember the World honey?"
Adham is only 12. At 12, a kid should be with his mom. I put the letter in my closet drawer and cried.

Three years ago, I was so mad when I noticed the surge of people and businesses, local and foreign, leaving Egypt.
"Nothing has changed." I used to say to my friends. "They can never be more corrupt than their predecessors!" "At least, this government was chosen by the people. They are men of faith as well as politicians." I used to repeat this over and over.
Tarek, on the other hand, had more insight.
Once the old government was overthrown, my step sister who she and her family happened to have Italian Passports, left the country almost immediately.
"We have too much at stack here and as you said nothing Really has changed." Said Tarek to me.
However, I noticed that little by little he is shrinking his business and reducing his "heavy" belongings. He sold his office and worked from the factory. He sold his parents house and an empty lot of land he owned. He even tried to sell our little house in Marina. I was so against it and even cried hard to dissuade him. I wish I hadn't. Now, Marina is a ghost city and the house is worth nothing...

1 comment:

Kim said...

wonderfully written. Made me think of brothers and sisters who are actually subjected to similar conditions in certain countries.

Waiting for the next part.