Monday, March 5, 2007

Daddy Forgets

It was just an ordinary day. I came back from work and you came running to me and hugged me. All what I did in response was a shrug.
Later on this afternoon, you got me my slippers and paper. Instead of thanking you I frowned, thinking and thinking about my work.
All throughout the evening I was complaining and yelling about the noise you are making, your toys scattered everywhere and that you are not paying enough attention to “your dad’s instructions.”
When I –“finally”- put you to bed you told me Good Night and smiled. I replied with a quick kiss on your cheek.

But I have to admit, Daddy forgets.
He forgets that you are only three and a half years old. He forgets that you are not yet burdened by work, taxes and life.
Daddy forgets that when you run to him and hug his knees there are no hidden intentions behind it.
You are not careless, disobedient or impolite. You are just a child.
Daddy forgot how it is to be a child.

Today is just an ordinary day. I took you to your nursery in the morning. As usual while you were going up the stairs you looked back, smiled and waved.
I waved back briefly and turned my back.
You did not see the one tear that escaped my eye.

No comments: